Whether you’re dealing with spam or unsolicited emails, it can be frustrating when you’re receiving emails that you don’t want.
If you’re new to using your email account, you might be wondering: How do you block an email?
In this article, we will cover some key information about blocking emails, including how to block an email.
Let’s get started.
Reasons Why You Want To Block An Email
There are various reasons why you might want to block an email as a small business. These reasons include but are not limited to:
One of the biggest reasons why you might want to block emails as a small business is due to spam emails.
While you might initially have to sign up to email listings on various sites and platforms, some sites might now be exploiting that privilege.
This is very common, and can leave your business email account flooded with emails that you have no interest in or need for.
Although many email listings are great for finding out about certain deals, discounts, and other ways that might help you improve your business, more often than not it’s frustrating to receive spam.
Phishing emails are another big reason why you might want to block an email address.
Phishers use sophisticated tools to help them crawl the web and find emails.
So, if you have a public profile to promote your business and leave your email address there, it’s likely that a phisher will be able to find you!
Phishing emails can be very persuasive, threatening, and dangerous to engage with, so it’s no wonder that you’d want to block them when you come across them on your business email account.
What Happens When You Block An Email?
You might think that you won’t receive messages from blocked senders altogether in your mailbox, but this wouldn’t be the case.
You will receive the messages, but when you block an email address, you are creating a filter that is designed to divert all subsequent emails from that sender to a junk or spam folder instead of your inbox.
The sender that you are blocking won’t be aware that you have blocked them, but this means that you won’t have to read them or see them in your inbox without your consent.
How Do You Block An Email?
There are various types of email addresses, and therefore, the process for blocking an email will depend on the email account that you use.
Below are a few of the most common email accounts, and how you can block an email with them.
How To Block An Email On Outlook
- Step One – Open your Outlook inbox.
- Step Two – Select a message from the email account you intend on blocking.
- Step Three – Next, you will need to place the cursor over the toolbar and select Junk or Spam.
- Step Four – Now, you will need to select Block. Confirm blocking the sender by clicking OK.
How To Block An Email On Gmail
- Step One – Open a message from the email that you want to block.
- Step Two – Click More and select Block.
- Step Three – A pop-up window will appear and ask you if you want to Block the sender’s address and move all future messages from it to the Spam folder.
- Step Four – Click Block to confirm. At this point, a confirmation message will now appear to let you know that you’ve successfully blocked the email address.
If you ever want to unblock them, follow these steps:
- Step One – Select See all settings.
- Step Two: Find Filters and Blocked Addresses to locate the email address that you would like to unblock.
- Step Three – Select the unblock link.
How To Block An Email On Yahoo
- Step One – To begin, go to your Yahoo account.
- Step Two – Move the cursor over the Settings icon and click More Settings from the drop-down.
- Step Three – Choose Security and privacy from the left pane.
- Step Four – Next to Blocked addresses, click the Add button.
- Step Five – Select Add an email address to block
- Step Six – Once you’ve added the email address that you want to block, select Save.
Unsubscribing Vs. Blocking
You might have scrolled to the bottom of an email, and seen the word “Unsubscribe.” So, what’s the difference between unsubscribing and blocking?
When you block a sender, the account will be able to send unwanted emails because your address is still on their mailing list. However, when you unsubscribe from emails, you are deleted from the sender’s mailing list.
The difference between unsubscribing and blocking is the permanency of the act, so which you choose will depend on the situation you’re in.
For instance, if you think you want to receive a company’s emails in the future, choose to block the sender’s email address and then you can unblock them eventually.
If you want to put a stop to the emails altogether, choose to unsubscribe from the sender’s mailings so that you are permanently removed unless you sign up again.
How Do You Unsubscribe From Emails?
In the majority of cases, the sender will include an Unsubscribe link in their email.
This will then take you to a link whereby you can click Unsubscribe to stop receiving emails from a company.
You should note that some companies make the process of unsubscribing from their email list more difficult than others.
Some companies tend to use tricks that rely on you not reading the options carefully. This means that you’re still subscribed, without knowing until you receive another email.
In many cases, if you’re still receiving emails that you thought you had unsubscribed from, then it is likely that you’ve fallen victim to this and haven’t yet unsubscribed.
This isn’t the end of the world, but it is a hassle for you if you’re still receiving unsolicited emails.
To fix this, you’ll just need to follow the steps again ensuring that you read it carefully and you select the right buttons.
So, there you have it! We hope you’ve found this article useful, and that you now have a better understanding of how to block an email.
- YouTube Automation: Streamline Content Creation for Success - October 1, 2023
- Shop Pay: A Comprehensive Guide for Seamless Online Transactions - October 1, 2023
- Mr Beast Net Worth: A Comprehensive Analysis - September 26, 2023