Making money from ads, it’s simple, effective, and requires almost no effort from your half other than setting up your account with Google.
Google Adsense is what we’ll be discussing today and how it can bring in a really consistent chunk of profit from your website with minimal setup, so without any further delay, let’s get started on how you can make money from ads with Google.
What Is Google Adsense?
Google AdSense is an advertising platform you can use to generate revenue by allowing Google to place advertisements on your website.
When you sign up for AdSense for free, Google will give you a variety of options on how you want to display ads, along with a line of code. You can copy this code and paste it into your site’s backend in order to get your service started.
Google does the rest of the work and you get paid for impressions and clicks. It’s quick, easy to do, and is a constant source of easy revenue that you can produce from your website
How Adsense works
The first thing to understand is that AdSense is different from Adwords.
The latter allows you to place your website as a top search result in a Google search engine results page (SERP), while the former leverages your site as an advertising platform for sites that pay to advertise through Google.
Adwords labels your search result as an ad, and its intent is to help you capture traffic for your keywords. AdSense populates your site with ads from other sites — therefore it does affect the user experience on your site to a dramatic amount.
AdSense gives you a piece of Google’s advertising pie. When brands buy Google ads, they pay for clicks. If someone clicks a Google ad, the advertiser pays Google.
If a user clicks on an ad running on your site, you earn a percentage of the money the advertiser pays for that click. AdSense also monetizes impressions.
This means you won’t earn AdSense money unless your site has traffic, which can be a double edged sword.
Once you’ve earned $100 from impressions and clicks, Google makes an automatic deposit to your bank account that you link to the service or sends you a check, depending on your preference.
You won’t see any money until that $100 mark, but your earnings roll over month-to-month.
If you earn $50 the first month and $51 the next, you’ll get a check for $101, so you’re never losing out on any of the money that you generate when using Google Adsense.
Here’s a quick list detailing some of the good things about AdSense:
- You don’t have to pay anything!
- You can display ads on mobile sites to make even more money
- You can display ads on multiple sites with a single AdSense account
- You can start monetizing a brand new site or an old one, completely up to you
- You can display ads that might actually be useful to your audience
- You can also connect it to Youtube
If you’re not against displaying ads on your website then AdSense makes a great partner for generating revenue from your website, whilst not affecting the substance of your website directly.
Types Of Ad Sense Adverts That You Can Expect To See
When using AdSense, you can choose up to 3 different options that are listed below to generate ad revenue from your website.
- Text: Also called “sponsored links,” text ads appear as a link to a site, one or two lines of text, and a site address in green, you can click on this to take you to a different site.
- Image: Also called “display ads,” these include banners, buttons, skyscrapers, leaderboards, and billboards.
- Rich media: Interactive ads including HTML, Flash, and video.
- Flash: Interactive banners made with Adobe Flash.
- Dynamic animated image
- Link units: Displays a list of different topics, and when users click on one, it takes them to a page with adverts.
- Search: Displays a Google search box, and when users make a query, it takes them to a SERP with ads.
When using Google AdSense it’s important to choose the options that are best suited for your website, mix and match whichever you like, but remember that you can only have 3!
There’s a few rules you’ll have to follow too.
Google is relatively strict when it comes to monitoring it’s users of AdSense, so it’s really important to make sure that you’re following these rules when using their service, otherwise you’ll be banned from using AdSense again.
- You can’t click on the ads you publish on your site
- You can’t encourage people to click on ads
- You shouldn’t place ads manipulatively in places where users might accidentally click, such as in-game interfaces or near interactive elements
- You can’t display AdSense ads on a site with more than three pop-ups
Follow these core rules, and you won’t have any problems when using AdSense
Final Thoughts On AdSense
Google AdSense is a fantastic tool to continue to profit from your website, whilst not directly affecting the content of your online presence.
It’s relatively easy to set up, and comes with very simple instructions so that you can get some extra revenue coming in from your website relatively quickly.
If you know for a fact that the traffic on your site is fairly high, this money can really add up, and you’ll start to see Google AdSense really paying dividends every month.